Thursday, July 5, 2012

I want a personal matrix.

1999's "Enter the Matrix" gave us a cool idea on how a dystopian future may turn out. I agree with what one of the antagonists said in the movie: "Ignorance is Bliss". What if we had the technology to create such a massive program that could sustain the entire population's mind's? Would people actually want an artificial fantasy life, knowing its not real, even if only at the subconscious level? The real world is harsh and brutal for those less fortunate. Could technology such as the Matrix itself be a way for escape not only as a luxury for the rich, but for anyone no matter what their status is? If this technology is available in the next 50 years, I hope I am alive to experience it. Virtual reality for prolonged periods of time is a huge technological step into the misty future. I am looking forward to it with my expectations high. I do however fear that it may become more of a drug of abuse rather than a means for escape and salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment