Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Another Thought on Lanier Chap. 9: MUSICAL STASIS

I understand that Lanier is perplexed by the lack of experimentation in popular music - from what I've read throughout his book (You Are Not a Gadget), I get a clear sense that he is disappointed with how people in our culture interact in our rapidly evolving digital world. 


Popular music is one example of this stagnant creativity that Lanier is talking about. He says he wants computers and the www and the digital atmosphere that is becoming more and more interwoven into most aspects of our daily life to inspire new ways of creating and interacting with music.


I do see some of this high degree of interaction going on with music thanks to Digital Audio Workstations and apps like Garage Band, Sound Drop, Music Ball, OscilloScoop, LittleMidi, GrooveMaker, Thicket, PatternMusic, and BeatWave. I have used all of these to create music and these "simple" apps have inspired me in a variety of ways, especially when it comes to creating ELECTRONIC MUSIC, sampling, and repeated patters to create trance-like tunes. These programs help me to understand and explore [HANDS ON] modern classical musical styles represented by Phillip Glass and Steve Reich.

JML
21

No comments:

Post a Comment