Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Personal MYTHS (to live by)

Here's a great book by Joseph Campbell: Myths to Live By - it's full of images of icons that are central to different mythologies from around the world. Campbell draws parallels between different religions and reminds the reader of different ways that these stories can have an impact on the personal lives of individuals and how they live within their communities.


ANIMALS are important figures in my own personal mythology. 
Here's a picture of an amazing GREEN BUTTERFLY that showed up on the door of my previous workplace, one morning at 6am. My boss was very strict and I had a lot of responsibility - it was not an ideal work atmosphere. At an especially low point this GREEN BUTTERFLY showed up just in time to remind me to keep on keeping on.






























Below is a picture of a LARGE HAWK, or maybe an EAGLE that flew down and landed right in front of me while I was walking back to my apartment after class one day. Just then, my phone rang - it was a musician and recording engineer who wanted me to play some flute for a song that he had written. We met and recorded together and the song has recently been played several times on the radio, on WPPB, an NPR station in Southampton. Here's the song: So Simple, by Bryan Downy (tin whistle accompaniment by Jay Loomis).





























JML
6

No comments:

Post a Comment